Tuesday, July 20, 2021

AN ART PIECE

I am pleased with this oak burl as an art piece-it has a small cup-sized 'bowl' but  so much of the work I did for this was done with a palm sander and then a forstner bit to drill the hole! 
 I thought it had me beat for a while until inspiration hit.
I really wanted to keep the knots and bumps on this piece of wood so that is why I have left it in its mostly normal state!
I removed the loose bark but not all of it-it makes a nice contrast.
Isn't it unusual? 
 Would it be something you would like to display 
or does it creep you out?!
It is 8" long, 6" wide and 5" high.  I used shellac to seal up the wood/bark.  It has a nice sheen and feels great in your hands--you couldn't resist holding it, if you were here!
 

8 comments:

  1. The tree that I was saddest to see cut down was the one right by the deck and it had a place on it that looked just like that. It did creep me out a bit but I loved that tree. The tree man said it was dying and dangerous so it had to go. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that turned out great! Very cool. It is nice to see all the various pieces you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting piece of wood. It’s good you are giving it a new life, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is VERY interesting and would make a great display piece. Each piece of wood and item you make is a work of art. God is a master designer isn't He?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat! Is it deep enough to put pens/pencils in it? That's what I would do with it if it was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that is really cool! I like it, and I’m sure it is even more fascinating in person, in 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! It made me think of a pencil holder, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I've been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. the ey yaa dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

SEE ME FLIT!

I made some letters on the Cricut--I know it doesn't look like it but these will spell WELCOME on a new sign. I cut and painted the wood...