Saturday, April 22, 2023

MINKY MASTERED

Against all odds, Mary and I got her quilt loaded onto the frame!  We had to piece the backing which was a surpirse so took longer.  Then we couldn't get the back to piece nicely because the backing is minky fabric!  It is so stretchy and miserable to work with!  Once the quilt is finished, it will be a beauty but the construction can be tough!  
and then there is working with me-at times very forgetful no matter how many quilts I have done! lol  We loaded the backing on backwards and then we wound the fabric on the wrong way, etc!  If I was alone, I would've walked away but between the both of us we mostly laughed!  
While Mary was doing the actual quilting lines, I glued one of the Dotz hummers to a piece of canvas board--
I did cut it first to be square which the hummingbirds patterns are made to be.  I just trimmed the board on the jigsaw-a breeze! Today,  I will glue the back side and apply a piece of paper to the backing to hide the  canvas edges and glue the hanger on, also.  I will have two hummers on the wall
 by the end of the day.

I am hoping to spend some time on the lathe because I feel a big bowl coming on!
 

4 comments:

  1. That hummingbird is just spectacular! I've never heard of minky fabric. It sounds like something I need to stay away from....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minky is a mess to work with, but it is so cuddly and soft. Love the hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember trying to back a burp cloth with minky fabric. I used to make a lot of them for baby gifts. Minky was HARD to sew with. I'm not good at sewing anyway.
    Love that gorgeous hummingbird. I can't wait to see them aon the wall together.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a big chunk of minky for a back for a quilt I plan to make for myself. I am a little apprehensive about it, but it feels soooo nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...