Wednesday, July 19, 2023

MESSING WITH WOOL

I used the enforced up time in the morning yesterday to card some more fiber so I could spin another bobbin. 
 This is how the wool looks when I begin.
I load some on my hand card first.  (just glob it on! lol)
And then make sense of the wads by combing them for a few strokes--it doesn't take much to get it fluffy like this!


Next, I load these fluffly bits from the hand cards into the carding drum and add about 4-5  of the fluffy fiber from the handcards to make a 'batt' from the drum.
I brought 4 of them into my bedroom so I could spin from bed and someone immediately began to do her own fiber ministrations--biscuit making of the most intense attention!
And then she promptly laid down for a nap!
I did get to spin after a bit because a jet went over and she thought it was thunder and went to hide!
After I did my spinning, I finished the Dotz project I was working on when in NY last week!  (because I mount it on the art board before I work on it, I can recline in bed with it leaning on my knees to work on it!)  I didin't notice it there, but do you see the face of a woman toward the right of the water/sky?! 
 If you don't see her, blame it on my head cold--
it does impair my brain to be so stuffy! 
 


5 comments:

  1. I don't see a face, but that doesn't make the dotz any less beautiful.

    I had to laugh about kitty laying on your batt. I'm sure Giroux would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do see a face, but on the left side -- maybe I'm loopy, too. Ha! Rosie was assisting with crochet today -- helping to unwind the skein as she ran away with it in her mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see a face. Biscuit making is HARD work...a nap afterwards is always needed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're brave! Fiber in the bed? I won't even card it in the house because of my allergies. I love playing with fiber but am limited to when I can get outside which is not now. Rain, rain, rain....muggy, buggy and hot. How on earth do you people manage down south? I'm counting the days until fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure hope you're better soon. I always wanted a drum carder when I was spinning. I hand carded like you but then I rolled the batts into rolags on my own without rolling them on a drum carder. Your's are so much fluffier.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

QUILTS FOR KIDS . ORG

I almost finished the girls' kit at quilting group yesterday.   Isn't it sweet?  The fabrics coordinate so nicely,  even if I am not...