Friday, January 12, 2024

FANCY HEXAGONS AND DAHLIAS

Only 7 hexagons and 1 half-hexagon away from having all of the blocks I need for this lap robe!  I also have to decide how I am going to attach the blocks to each other.  I'm thinking of a DK weight yarn in dark grey to give the impression of leaded panes but I will have to order the yarn first, if I to do that!
In the studio, I seamed the strips together.  It is 'square' and since I am not impressed with square quilts, I will have to figure out a way to border this to counteract the shape! lol
Next, I picked a project to work on and managed to sew the rest of the flower for the dahlia.  The instructions had me sew the center separately first.  I think that was dumb because now I had to HAND sew it in place!  I no longer do well with hand stitching  due to the psoriatic arthritis on top of the broken wrist and thumb surgery!  And aging.  And MS.  Okay, you get it!  But I powered through it watching a movie and sitting in front of the fireplace and tried to relax through the work!
A few hours later and it was done!  Now I have to decide if I want another row with a bit of greenery.  Then the whole flower will be appliqued to the background fabric-but I will do that by machine!

3 comments:

  1. Love the idea of adding some greenery to your Dahlia. The colors in the square quilt are gorgeous...so bright and cheery. Gray to join your hexagons sounds perfect to me; but I think given how much color you have you could close your eyes and point to a skein of yarn and it would look awesome in any color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of your projects. The dahlia is gorgeous and I think a little green would be a great finishing touch. Those hexies are wonderful. So much work and patience with all of those yarn ends!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous projects...one after the other! I had to laugh at your laundry list of reasons you can't handsew anymore. Isn't that the truth? Right now between hand quilting the Dresden and knitting with worsted weight my upper body feels like I've been splitting wood. I'm disgusted with myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

QUILTS FOR KIDS . ORG

I almost finished the girls' kit at quilting group yesterday.   Isn't it sweet?  The fabrics coordinate so nicely,  even if I am not...