Sunday, January 7, 2024

A VISIT TO MY WILDERNES

So many of the banana trees are flourishing despite a few frosted tips already.  There has been flooding again, 
for the fifth year in a row.  They say it is a 50 year cycle
 but I hope this cycle won't last 50 years!
Some of the trees are sending out new flowers--that 12" reddish cone near the top of the photo is the bloom.  The stalk will continue to lengthen and above the flower, there will appear little 'fingers' that will soon form a large bunch of bananas!

Here is a clump of bananas that is growing well on its stalk.
  They take four months to ripen!
The Maple trees are already putting out their little squirrel ears!  Maple leaves start and end their journey in such a pretty color!

You can see how strange this area looks compared to a few years ago when it was all green mowed grass.  Now most of the Pine and Maple trees are gone from the area.  The bare tree on the left is a Cypress which loses its needles over the winter but it is alive and well for it is a swamp dweller!  If you look closely, you can see an egret in the center of the photo in the water.
They are among the many birds which are thrilled with the additional wetlands!  We try to enjoy the changes for a number of reasons.  We do have to admit to seeing the beauty!
These are the flowers on one stalk from an aloe plant.
We have so many aloe planted around the bases of palm trees
 so the flowers are appreciated year round.

The Camellias continue to bloom-this one is about 6' across.
 A real show-off!

The morning started off with heavy rain but by noon the sun was out and it hit 80F and it was hard to let the weather so unappreciated so we savored a good visit.

5 comments:

  1. That is a spectacular tree! That area of your wilderness is really amazing. It's like a picture postcard. I just noticed buds on my camellia that look like they are ready to open. Too soon, I told them but I doubt they will listen...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool pictures. Love the trees. Good luck weather wise, flooding can bed such a problem and take years to fully recover from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many acres do you have? You definitely have plenty of beautiful plants and wildlife to enjoy.

    While I LOVE having four seasons up here, wrapping my head around a different growing season has been a steep learning curve. Thirty+ years in Florida will do that to you. Let's just say there has been a LOT of trial and error.

    Hoping this spring to get some veggies going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in such an interesting area! It's been rainy here lately and are supposed to get snow later this week. That will be hard on the mixed up plants that don't usually bloom now. On my walk I just saw a flowering plum and a rose bush with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana's of your own! It sounds so exotic to me after living in the northwest for so long and now in Nebraska. Dennis's brother was here for 2 weeks over the holidays and is doing his best to try to get us to move to Florida where he is when we can. I doubt that will happen but it sure sounds good with a forecast like we have today. 10 - 12 inches of snow predicted tonight through Tuesday morning. I'd rather be there looking at blue herons and camellias. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

QUILTS FOR KIDS . ORG

I almost finished the girls' kit at quilting group yesterday.   Isn't it sweet?  The fabrics coordinate so nicely,  even if I am not...