Monday, August 26, 2019

Garter and Cables FO

 Yes, I finished knitting the sleeves to Mom's sweater and seamed them in place!
 The back of the sweater is full of cables and the garter rib pattern, too.
She did a stunning job of knitting the main body portion of the sweater
 and even seamed it and attached the collar.
There are no buttons on the front because she always wears the sweater open-her preference-
and while the collar looks good on the manikin in the upright position,
she will not wear it this way either. 
 When you grow up, you get to chose your style and stick to it!

It didn't take long to see a problem developing;  the sleeves seemed to be growing!
Sure enough, they are 1" longer then when I knit them.....this yarn, Mellowspun DK, grows!!!
This was the problem in the first place; 
the pattern calls for knitting the sleeve 18 1/2" before binding off for the underarm! 
 I don't know about you but that is a very long sleeve for my petite Mom
hence my reason for rescuing the sweater, and making the adjustment for her!

I think I have a plan of action-I am going to hem the bottom of the sleeve by 1" 
after a few days of resting on the manikin 
to be sure it won't be growing any longer than this!

9 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful sweater! I get that sleeve growing thing. I had a sweater do that once. It was so aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finish! Congratulations. Growing sleeves...sometimes I could use those - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your mom did a beautiful job with the knitting. Could your mom just roll the cuff edge up, or would that be too bulky?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous sweater! Hemming sounds like a good solution for the growing sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a stunning sweater. I think your solution sounds like a great one, as well as letting it rest on the mannequin for a few days. What a good daughter you are. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sweater is so meticulously made. . It is perfection I think. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sweater — and Grandma will be beautiful with that bright color against her pretty self! I was chuckling thinking how differently she and I are built...when I wash tops, I stretch out the sleeves of everything in a desperate attempt to make them long enough...but stretching sleeves is a bad thing for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's perfect! She will love wearing it and how special you both had a hand in it's making.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a gorgeous sweater and I think you are right about hemming the sleeves. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...