Saturday, August 24, 2019

I DID IT MY WAY......!

 The little terrarium might be lonely now but soon it will be joined by many other embroideries!
Here is a photo heavy, word-brief tutorial of how I prepared it for hanging.
 First I traced and cut a piece of cardboard to cover the back.
 I loaded the backing fabric after I had layered it over a piece of batting;  nice and firmly hooped now.
 I trimmed the extra fabric a generous inch beyond the hoop, trimming the batting slightly smaller.
 I threaded a needle with a long length of doubled sewing thread and stitched a 'spider web' to contain the extra fabric.
 I used fabric glue to hold the cardboard in place;
the needle was handy to tuck any ripples or tucks to lay smoothly under the cardboard.
 I placed the hoop right side up on my dryer and then weighed it down for several hours!
 See it under there!?
 When I took the weight off, I could see I had the smooth and flat finish I wanted.
I signed my work, dated it and recorded the designer's name more for my memory than for credit!

I didn't look on YouTube for any 'how-to' information because I knew what I wanted and I did it.
Sometimes, you are your own best inventor.

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant! When the kids were babies I made each one a birth sampler like that-minus the cardboard. I never thought of that which would have held them nicer. When we moved I packed them all in the attic and the mice ate them along with all my other sitched projects. All that work for a mouse snack! PS this is Araignee. Google is doing something weird with their sign in. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful finish! I just basically pp it in a hoop and hang it but this is much more sturdy and stable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the process of your finishing. Sometimes I get stymied by finishing things like that. Brilliant idea in signing and dating your work. It will mean so much to generations to come.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! ! I love the mushrooms and the greenery!!! Great job

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

ALMOST A TOP!

  I have all of the pieces blocks finished  and the borders are cut but nothing is sewn to its neighbor yet  but that is on the schedule for...