Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Life is Precious

 The sock-that-never-ends did get finished!
It is knit on a 2.0 mm needle and so it is a very tight knit
which feels good and cushiony on my feet now 
but that is the reason it took longer-well, that and the misery 
over the heel 3x and the fact that it was top down (not my favorite way)
and I finished it once already but it was too short and so I had to rip out  the toe
and add another inch of foot and do the toe again.......
 I only had 3 yards leftover--I am relieved I was able to get one sock out of this skein 
but it was a close call.
 Speaking of a close call -
Bill was standing to the right of the orange tree 
when he heard a CRACK overhead
and was able to move just enough to get brushed by the branches
instead of being crushed by the 1000+lbs of Live Oak wood.
Hurricanes weaken trees with their wind and rain-
Matthew, Irma and Dorian took their toll on this one.
We will cut it back to nothing but trunk and let it sprout out new growth-
we don't trust its long graceful branches anymore!
In a lighter train of thought, 
I cast on the second Gansey sock-
I'm hoping I will knit this one with a LOT less drama. 
Because I really want to knit Fall socks with THIS yarn instead!

9 comments:

  1. Yikes!! Close call for Bill. Glad he moved a bit and is ok. The finished sock looks so pretty (that really is a nice pattern). And love the yarn you can't wait to knit with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! Glad he didn't get hit, you guys don't need anymore medical experiences right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, wow, wow....it's my biggest fear. We hear that crack and then crash all the time. I've gotten afraid to go out. These wild temperature swings have really done a number on the trees. They are all dying so fast we can't keep up with them. I am so ready to pack it in and move to an empty field somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness how frightening! Love those socks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful sock! The pattern is stunning. Isn't it amazing how we each have our preferences but they all end us, (mostly), with a wonderful sock in the end? I prefer to knit top down, probably because that's how I learned and I'm most comfortable with it.
    I'm sorry about your tree. That must have been scary. I'm so glad he wasn't hurt.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sock is beautiful!
    Thank goodness Bill was able to move fast enough! There's a big tree out back that I'm convinced is going to come down one day. But it's on the neighbours property and they don't seem to want to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, falling branches (the size of a full tree) are frightening. Relieved to hear Bill escaped harm. Kudos on finishing the never-ending sock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, sure glad that tree missed Bill! Good luck with the second sock...all those issues and you had to play yarn chicken, too. I do like that pattern though. I love Berroco yarn in any color! What pattern will you use for your fall sock?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness. So glad that tree missed your husband! We know how dangerous a falling tree is. I love your socks. Sorry they misbehaved at times during the knitting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...