Saturday, February 6, 2021

Cracked is Out

After tackling all of the jobs I do around the house, I was ready to relax at the lathe.  Even though it was freezing in the morning, by afternoon, the sun was shining and warm.  
I had to quit on this one....from experience, I have learned that...
a crack is not my friend.  It is such a pleasing shape but the crack goes right through the block of wood from one side to the other!  I took it off , knowing it would be too risky.
So what did I do?  Loaded another piece of wood-this time  the other side of Maple log I used to make my Dad's bowl.  (see the new shirt I have for working on the lathe?  Now I can shake off all of the wood chips from my front and not leave a trail like Greta!  I embroidered my name the way I burn it onto the bottom of the bowls.)
This one, I made round-ish, keeping the natural edge of the outer log.
It has high and low sides and a nice scooped interior.
There is also a flat side, some spalting and just an overall pleasing shape.
This bowl is 6"wide and  4" deep.
And this one, too, has worm holes and one even goes all the way through the sidewall.  Nice to have success with this one!

On the knitting front, I have placed the sleeve stitches on holders and will now work 5" of the body before the lace begins!  It's been a very good knit!  (Hyacinth Cardigan)


    

 

6 comments:

  1. I learned the hard way about wood chips getting into your clothes when we were working with the trees last winter. I ruined a pair of flannel pants and some wool socks. Who knew you can't get that stuff out? I sure didn't. I wear a suit made for insect protection over my clothes now when we go out to saw.
    You are really flying with that cardi. It won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the crack, but boy do I love that bowl you made. My Grandfather made so much furniture and for sometime worked in a bowl mill in VT. I have wooden offering plates, salt & pepper shakers, and just regular bowls that he made - all treasures. I also have some of the furniture he made. Could you use one of the worm holes to make it into a yarn bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no end to your talents. Embroidery, knitting and lathe work just in this one post. And I love them all. I'm sorry about the crack in the camphor wood pieces but that bowl is gorgeous. The worm holes add another entire demension to it.
    I'm going to have to look up that pattern. I love my cardigans and I'm wearing them out. I could use another one.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great day with the wood! And you got a good start on the cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hand sanitizer near me, We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bowls are lovely! That's going to be a very nice sweater; what yarn are you using?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

ALMOST A TOP!

  I have all of the pieces blocks finished  and the borders are cut but nothing is sewn to its neighbor yet  but that is on the schedule for...