Thursday, April 1, 2021

Just a Shade

I have this kind of roller shade in each of my windows in the house--I have ordered the kit for the first ones I make but after that you can make them again but still use the hardware--a great deal! You begin by screwing the hardware into the window opening and cutting the roller to length.  I make several small cuts until I get it the right length!  Then you iron on the fusible interfacing to the wrong side of your fabric which has been cut to your roller bar width plus 3/4" on each side extra.  I also allow 8" more than needed for the length to allow for squaring up and hems, etc.
After the main portion of the shade has been fused, you use this included roll of fusible web to roll over to the back and fuse down on each side.
I added some swoops to the hem and used a wide self-bias binding for the hem to add a bit of weight and also add the wooden slat for the same.
Now comes the highly technical bit of using duct tape to attach the top of the shade to the roller!  It works great and holds well--remember the extra inches I added?  This makes sure I don't have to unroll the shade all the way so the duct tape will never show.
The roller is added to the hardware and that's all there is to it!  Instant  window dressing 3 hours later!  

7 comments:

  1. This time, the worst part of the whole job (in my opinion) is already done — getting the hardware in and cutting to size, etc — so it’s a pleasant job and a great perk-up to the room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever and I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hanging air plant is perfect with the swirly "sea" fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so pretty! I love it! Custom shades with perfect fabric.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job - an attractive and effective window covering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...