Thursday, August 19, 2021

HICKORY LOG TO BOWL

I didn't give up on the bowl 
and learned how to work with a hardwood.
This is the original log that I started working on to make this bowl.
I ended up having to take the bowl (still in its chuck)...
and this is what I did to correct the wide cracks that had been revealed just a few inches into the bowl.  It kept catching the tool and I almost gave up on it.  I'm glad I didn't! 
 I learned how to fill the cracks with sawdust from the bowl and some CA glue (think commercial grade super glue!)
 and let it dry overnight.
The next day, I began working on the bowl and in a few hours, I had hollowed out the bowl beyond the cracks to reveal the solid wood underneath!  I couldn't believe how wonderful the grain was under those cracks!  
The bowl has a lot of 'imperfections' that I look for in a bowl!  Knots, surface cracks and crazy grain lines.
The outside looks great with the variety of colors and swirls!
This bowl is 10 1/4' wide at the top and 5 1/2" high. 
 This bowl already feels like it has been in the family for a hundred years!  I'm thrilled.
It's this time of year--the Magnolia is making its seed pods--they are beautiful and enjoyed by the squirrels, too!
 

11 comments:

  1. That is just incredible! Congrats on a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a beautiful thing - the gnarled look and the markings make a lovely contrast to the smoothness of your very careful finish. A real labour of love. I've never seen hickory wood, so that's fascinating too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful bowl!!! It has so much character. And love the jars, that has got to be so much fun finding the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bowl does look like it's been around for years and years and used daily. It's perfect! I love the grain lines and the swirls. You have the patience of a saint to take the time to fill in the cracks and wait for the glue to dry. This is one bowl worth waiting for, that's for sure. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I love the little dip on the lip of the bowl! Gives it character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bowl is gorgeous!! I love wood bowls, they are full of warmth and character. So happy to found have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that what you do with a piece of wood is breathtaking. It must give you a great deal of satisfaction. It gives me joy watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bowl is incredible. I am glad you stuck with it because it is an amazing piece of art. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

POST SURGERY TIME

I was able to get a ton of knitting time in  while in the Surgery Center with Bill yesterday!   He did well but it is harder to have surgery...