Friday, August 6, 2021

LOG PREPARATION

This is what I will be playing with today;  a large piece of Hickory.  It was also cut for firewood and given to Bill to use.  He hadn't used it and thought I might enjoy a new kind of wood to turn at the lathe!  Oh, yes, please!  It is the largest piece yet but needs some preparation before I can mount it on the lathe.
The wood has been outside so it needed some drying out.  It also need to have the bark removed so I have been chipping away the bark which has absorbed the rain like a sponge!  I will smooth the center of the flat side so that I can screw the faceplate in place which will then screw onto the lathe.  I also need to cut off the corners to on the bandsaw so that it will shape up a bit easier.  I am still working on enjoying every step of my projects...
 

3 comments:

  1. This one will be fun to watch as it goes through each process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be a challenge! I have no idea what hickory looks like but it sounds like it would be beautiful. Maybe it's because I loved the book "Miss Hickory" when I was a kid and Miss Hickory was made of hickory with an acorn for a head. I still have a copy of it here that I read to Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a lot of work to get something that looks so simple and beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...