Sunday, August 16, 2020

Keep Going Hands!

This is what 2" of rain looks like-it comes fast and furious every afternoon. 
 Most of the time, it isn't this much at one time.  
We need 7-8" minimum a month to keep the water levels up to normal
 and we have only been getting a few inches.  
This was a very welcome rainfall!
I did buck up for 1/2 hour to do a loose meander on the flannel GO! quilt. 
I decided to finish the edging differently than normal.  
I trimmed the batting to 1/2' and the backing to 2 1/4"
 and brought it to the front to just cover the raw edges of the top,
 pinned and stitched it down by machine. 
 My Gram finished all of her quilts this way 
and then usually stitched it down with feather stitching by hand.
I think it was easier for me because of the walking foot 
to keep all of those layers playing nicely together! lol
 I added my personal moniker labels to the edging as usual.
Isn't the backing fun? 
 I had just enough of this cut of fabric to add the length I needed for the backing. 
 I'm out of luck for the rest of the pile. 
 I need to feel better to get to JoAnn's!       
                                                                             One problem I encountered, was the open miter at each corner.
            I ended up hand stitching each open miter closed so it was a relatively simple solution!
A hat and a beginning of a mitten for this set.  
This is knit from a leftover skein or rather Cake from the stash! 
 This is from Plymouth Yarns called Hot Cakes, a  75/25% wool /acrylic blend,
 similar to LionBrand's WoolEase which the other hats were made from; 
 the biggest difference is that this skein has a lot more yardage 
so I could make mittens to match from the one skein.
 And I added color to the line and wash of Asa Gray's Lily.

6 comments:

  1. You've been busy!!
    We've been getting rain like that for the last few weeks. I am so tired of all the flood notifications on my phone and Echo. We needed the rain for sure but not all at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really got a lot done. That little quilt is so cute. I love how you did the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is like an optical illusion. I had to really focus my eyes. I like the way you finished it, even the corners. You can barely see where you stitched it up.
    The line drawing is beautiful as are the hat and sock. You amaze me with your productivity.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer an all-day rain rather than quick and furious storms. Nice finish on the quilt and the corners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had some wonderful rain lately, more like typical Florida late afternoon storms. Love all your projects. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a pretty dry summer for us. Only a couple good downpours. We could use a few more.

    I bound placemats that way once. I much prefer stitching the binding on the front, then tacking it to the back by hand.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...