Saturday, November 21, 2020

Jingle Bells

I worked on some piecing today!  I listened to Agatha Christie's Black Coffee (Audible on YouTube) while I worked and it was a nice hour!

Bill and I ended up doing a bunch of pruning in the central area of our driveway circle--things sure do grow fast and thick here!  It was such a good feeling to beat back the jungle.  So , I didn't get to finish the bowl but I am close and today will see its finish for sure!  But I did paint a new card.

I also played with a bit of memory lane knitting!  My Mom has made so many of these through the years (even knitting them in white for wedding gift accents!) and I remembered them the other day and asked her if she still had the pattern.  Sure enough , later in the day I got an email with her successful hunting notes!  You can use any yarn with needles that match the yarn, straight needles work well because these are knit flat and grafted to join.  

Here is the pattern for your knitting pleasure!

KNIT BELLS

Small amount of yarn and straight needles to give a firm fabric (for example, worsted weight yarn + #5 needles, or fingering weight yarn +#1 needles)

Cast on 14 stitches

Row 1- Knit 10, Purl 4

Row 2--Knit across

Repeat these two rows until there are 22 garter ridges (44 rows)

Knit row 1,  cut yarn 12" from needle (you should be on the stockinette end of the bell to cut the yarn)

Pick up 14 stitches from the cast on edge onto a second needle and graft the two rows:

Kitchener for Stockinette for the first four stitches says: knit off, purl on the front needle and purl off, knit on the back needle.  When you reach the garter stitches for the front needle, the Kitchener song changes to: knit off, purl on the front needle and knit off, purl for the back needle!  Continue across until all stitches are used, now pick up the top bumps all around the top of the garter ridges and pull it tight to close the top of the bell.  Use a single strand of yarn for the loop, twist two strands or even use gold braiding.  I like to hang a jingle bell inside for a clapper, too. 

 Make a million of these or at least a dozen! Be sure and post them if you do knit some bells!

(worsted weight and #5 needles were used here for the green bells (2") and #1 needle with sock yarn for the Christmas  colored bell (1 1/2")

5 comments:

  1. How cute are those bells! I might try to tackle them one day.... and a great idea to listen to an Agatha Christie while you work.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my favorite winter scene yet — I adore white birches, and you picked the perfect time of day in which to set your scene — gorgeous! I think I might need to try making a bell, if for no other reason than to continue the tradition to the next generation. :) The Christmas quilt is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The piecing is fabulous. I love that pattern and the material you chose. I think it's one of my favorites I've seen anywhere. That winter scene is wonderful too. It looks so real. You are a true artist. Your Mom is sweet to share the bell pattern with you and us too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bells are very cute! You did a great job on the card. Looks quite wintery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pattern your stars make. And what a pretty card. I'll pass on the bells, I need to focus on all the things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...