Sunday, November 22, 2020

Ta-Da Times 2 !

I ordered these canning jar rings ages ago and they finally came-so I wanted them not for canning but for crafting!  I sprayed painted them orange first.
Then I threaded an orange ribbon through the rings and tied it tightly in the middle.  It naturally forms the pumpkin shape.  In the center hole, I placed a real pumpkin stem saved from seasons past.
I now have a very seasonal table centerpiece!
Once that was complete, I wanted to head to the lathe. 
 Bill installed the LED light overhead for me and what a difference it made!  I sanded and polished the inside of the bowl
 and then it was time to turn it around to complete the base.
This is where I am having trouble to hold the bowl in place to remove the tenon that I make first so that the chuck can hold this while I hollow it out.

I made a chunk of wood into what is called a jam chuck--I shape the end of this chuck so that the bowl will fit over the end perfectly.
I then 'jam' the bowl between this wooden piece and bring the tail stock up to the bottom of the bowl as I cut away the now unnecessary tenon.
I whittle it down to a little nub and then remove it.  I sand this down and apply the finish to match the rest of the bowl.
And then I have a near perfect bowl from a piece of Camphor tree from our own yard!  The bowl is 4" x 4".  It took a lot longer than I thought but I hung in there until it was a done deal.  I can't wait until the next project now! lol
 

7 comments:

  1. The bowl is GORGEOUS! The pumpkin is very pretty, too — and I forgot you have the new dining set, so it was a pretty surprise (to my brain) to see it holding the pumpkin! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the perfect size for a YARN bowl!!! It turned out beautifully.

    Love the canning lid pumpkin too. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bowl! It's absolutely wonderful. I love all of the grain throughout it. The canning lid pumpkin is very cute too. Now I wish I hadn't given all of my canning jar lids to the thrift store when we moved. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pumpkin.
    Love the bowl. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do woodworking, too? Wow. That bowl is gorgeous.
    I love your pumpkin centerpiece. I am not very motivated to decorate this year, seeing as it's just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it all!! The bowl is adorable. And the pumpkin is something I've always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FRIDAY FINISHES!

The 3-yard quilt top is all sewn together and ready for the quilting frame!  It was pretty easy to stitch it and even a bit boring to just k...