Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Lathe, Piece, Knit and Paint!

 I thought I would show you the beginning of a bowl.  This is a hunk of wood, I have cut off the 'corners' so I could work easier at the lathe.  It is attached to the lathe with  a faceplate-a piece of metal that is screwed to the flat side of the wood-the side that will be the inside of the bowl eventually!
I use a roughing gouge to chip away at the side until it is round.
Then I work at making the bottom of the bowl.
And after an hour or so, I have the shape I like and the bottom which will be held with a different chuck so that I can hollow out the bowl from this side--I hope to find time today!
I also made the last three blocks yesterday afternoon;  I have to sew them together and add a border of the red fabric!  I so enjoyed the piecing for this!
One sock is finished-I just kept knitting until almost out of yarn and then I bound off --the sock has a k3, p1 rib up the leg, the rest of the sock is stockinette.  
 And this is a winter card out my front window!  A clear night sky with stars, the palm tree is a Queen palm with bromeliads at the base.  The bushes in the background are my camellias....

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you have no idle hours in your day! And, everything is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me how an angular chunk of wood becomes round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun you’re having with the lathe and the wood chunks! I can imagine you in safety glasses and wood chips in your hair. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making quite a collection of beautiful cards. I love the palm tree. I know they are a lot of work, but I loved our palms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - you talents are endless. How cool is that bowl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it fascinating that you can make a bowl out of a hunk of wood. You are a magician! That quilt! I have no words as to how much I love it. I really think it is one of my most favorite quilts I have ever seen.
    Palm trees are so exotic to me. Here we are in a winter landscape and you're in a tropical paradise!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difference between that chunky block of wood and even a partially-finished bowl! The quilt is so lovely...and I love that you have now included a Florida-winter scene, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

WOOD WORKS

I cleaned the wood shop area;  the tools and the floor, etc so that I could begin work on that burl we acquired a few weeks ago!  It felt so...