Thursday, August 3, 2023

OLD PROJECTS--NEW FINISHES!

My oldest son bought two oil paintings almost 30 years ago and they needed some repair and cleaning.  I glued the canvas onto its board again (it had curled off;  dried out)  and replaced the board to the back of the frame again.  I cleaned and polished the frames and had to admit, it perked them up nicely!
On the back was written the artist, Howard Brandt, and the date they were painted, 1970, and the price originally asked, $480.  I will admit, my son did not pay that much for the pair at a garage sale in 1994! I will be packing these up and mailing them to Washington State to him--they are out of my storage finally!
Do you see the glass bottle bottoms that I rethreaded into a windchime?!  They were threaded with cotton string which had rotted long ago but I knew I could fix it and enjoy it when I saw it at the thrift store but I let it stay in the box for way too long!  No longer.  It is now hung up in the newly created corner of the lanai and it catches the breeze and lightly tinkles beautifully!  
The sock that I ripped out is knit again and I like it tons more!  I will be beginning the leg in another inch, I will be knitting it in the k3, p1, which I enjoy knitting and wearing.  I also made a change to the gusset numbers and will do it like this from now on-the heel fits much better with a bit more room.  I'm feeling pretty good about the sucesses, I must admit!
 

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Is the sea glass wind chime loud? or on the soft side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a lot of old artwork left by the kids in all their many moves. Piles of canvases. I'm not an art on the wall kind of person since I don't have a lot of walls and need the space for storage. I've got them all piled behind the doors in the two craft rooms. I just start charging the kids for storage....lol.
    I love a glass wind chime. My grandmother had one of those painted glass ones on her porch and I loved it. I still have some of the glass pieces here in the shed after the string rotted away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son is going to be so thrilled to get the paintings. What a good Mom you are to reburbish them so well for him.
    Love the glass chimes. We bought some new chimes in Montana a few weeks ago. They're made with local sliced and polished stones. I'm looking forward to hanging them up when Dennis's hand is better.
    Nice sock. I always seem to stick with my dpn's, top down patterns. It's less confusing for me. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that wind chime idea!

    Those paintings are cool

    And of course, I'm loving the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun wind chime! We have quite a few on our porch. It's fun to hear them ring, isn't it? Nice work on the socks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

QUILTS FOR KIDS . ORG

I almost finished the girls' kit at quilting group yesterday.   Isn't it sweet?  The fabrics coordinate so nicely,  even if I am not...