Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Wanna Take a Golf Cart Ride?

The pinwheel quilt is off the frame and on the sewing table awaiting binding!
It was such a beautiful day yesterday, I went out on an exploration drive on the golf cart and was surprised to see the Calliandra plant already blooming!  The 'puff' ball is about 4-5" across.
It's always nice to see the Penta plants relax when the scorching summer heat lets up.
And this is only one bloom on a very loaded bush of fire spike or fire bush plant.
Hummingbirds and butterflies love it and it is getting very few of those lately-mostly sulpha butterflies and a few of these either soldier or queen butterflies-I couldn't tell!
The Calendula I planted 19 months ago has begun to bloom again and I see that the plant has finally started to spread!  It struggled for a long while through the summer--I know how it felt!
I was so sad my Cassia tree died out front and what do I discover along the hedge downwind of where it grew?  A new one already 10' tall!  It just looks like a young tree until October when these lovely flowers appear!
The flowers will continue to bloom right through to Dec or January depending on the temperatures!  Spectacular!

And then growing down low and covered with sweet flowers is this.  I  had to look up what it was because it is more subtle smelling than the Confederate Jasmine and the bloom is different, too but the smell reminds me.....well, it is a Downy Jasmine!  That's why.  Almost a honeysuckle smell.


Thanks for taking a tour in the yard on this beautiful Fall day!

(no watercolor today-I went to visit the boys and their Dad.  Bill has been called to go and help the power company in the wake of hurricane Zeta in New Orleans.  I'll be back home early today.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour of your garden. Dad grew Cassia in our backyard when I was a kid. I don’t see them around anymore, I believe they’re a “noxious weed” here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have some gorgeous blooming plants on your property. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pinwheels are perfect and the gardens are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beautiful color in your yard!

    On Riverside Avenue in Jacksonville the cassia trees were amazing. I loved this time of year there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a tropical paradise! It's all leaves here now. We've been fighting the battle all week. The Mister's on the roof now cleaning out the gutters. I hate when he does that but we've got storms coming from that gulf hurricane. That makes 3 this year. Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tour! You sure do live in a exotic place to this northern girl. :-) I have never seen some of those plants before. The puff ball looks soft. Is it? Also the bush of fire is spectacular. Well, all of the plants you have shown are spectacular. I'm all huddled up in my trailer with temps of 17F so I'm living vicariously through you.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blooms are a distant memory, so thanks for the ride around your property, viewing the variety of beautiful plants and blooms! You did a fabulous job on the quilting of the pinwheel quilt - love the border quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful flowers where you are! A real spirit lifter. Mine are winding down now, but I did bring one in while blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plants are so interesting! They always get me through winter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...