Sunday, October 18, 2020

A Surprise!

While I was powering through these two quilts at the frame, 
my husband was working on cleaning out the second bay in the garage so we will have a wood shop!
My lathe is front and center where I will have sunlight and fresh air! 
 I was thrilled with the new work space! 
 See the pegboard hung on the wall right by me so the tools are within easy reach. 
 I spent about an hour working on this cedar pot-it's not really a bowl but looks more like a plant's pot!  It has been on the lathe too long and since I started it, 
I have found that I made about 10 rookie mistakes with this thing 
so I looked at it like I would view a knitting project--I'm done with this and want to move on! 
 I did some sanding and used the natural citrus and beeswax finish and am calling it done!
The container stands 7" tall and is 4" across.  
The grain is gorgeous--the cedar itself sure shines through.

This should be another 1" deeper but I couldn't reach inside any more with the tools I own. 
 Hence, finished if a bit before it is completed! lol
But look at that coloring! 
 I'm happy it is off the lathe and now I can start something new 
applying some of the newly acquired YouTube expertise I've picked up! 
 Stay tuned!
INKTOBER DAY 17--STORM  
I used masking fluid for the first time--it was fun to just play
 and see how it could be a real help  with just a little planning!
 

7 comments:

  1. The pot is gorgeous! The grain is amazing. I’m excited for you to get back at this craft!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make an amazing flower pot! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful hubby you have!! Your pot is just beautiful. I never really appreciated wood grain until we started splitting wood. I had no idea the colors you find inside a log.
    I tried masking fluid last year for the first time but it just tore up my paper. I must have been doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great place to work your wood magic in. The plant pot is ablsolutely beautiful. The colors just radiate off of it.
    I received your beautiful card in the mail last night. It was so thoughtful of you to send it to me. Now I'll always have a memory of this beautiful place. Thak you so much!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cedar is gorgeous wood, and your pot makes it even more beautiful.I love being able to see the grain in wooden pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece of timber, lovely shape. Pencil holder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just popped over from Dee's, and am stunned at the variety of crafts you can turn your hands to! Cedar is such a lovely wood and your pot so beautifully shaped. I like your adventures in masking fluid too - it's fun to work with, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

GLOWING WORK!

The two layer cake scrambled tops are finished!   The dimensions are 40 50".   I have the backing so they will be heading to the frame ...