Saturday, October 31, 2020

A Close Shave...

I put to use the newly sharpened tools 
and had to find my touch again to shape the little bowl-
and to hollow out that center!  
That is the hardest part to me! 
 It's all technique plus experience! 
 Since I struggle with depth perception anyway, 
I have a  hard time approaching the bowl at the proper angle and touch!  It is fun to see my pile of wood and know that I can practice to my heart's content! 
 I will be applying the finishes to the bowl 
today and will begin a new one!
Probably.
Here are my favorite tools 
(I have several old sets we've purchased through the years!)
 because they are just the right length and weight for me!  
These are all sharpened now--
I practiced with the old tools first-
but they one and all work like new, of course! 
 Wonderful to put them to use and to be able to sharpen them to perfection so many times in each project!

Here is the grinder all mounted and with its accessories for sharpening the different types of lathe tools.
And I leave you with this beautiful but non-aromatic Confederate Rose!
 

6 comments:

  1. So how weird war the adjustment from dull to sharp — did you have to change your touch a lot or did you catch on quickly? Why are bowls so fascinating?! Something about them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now I get it. You use the grinder to sharpen your wood carving tools. I vaguely remember dad having one in his workshop but I never saw him use it. I wish I had blogged during his wood working years so I would have photos of all the things he used to do in there. Maybe I would have learned something. It's all a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before long, you’ll be making yarn bowls. Enjoy the sharp tools and the pile of wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy beat me to it. I was going to suggest you try your hand at yarn bowls. You could even sell them to all of us!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bowl has such a nice grain. It's going to be gorgeous once it is stained and varnished.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FLOWERS ON FRIDAY

But first-yesterday's Shop Hop went well-we discovered a very nice new shop in St Augustine;  always a good find!   What I bought this t...