Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Taking a Good Gouge

The Sandhill Crane family still visit several times a day. 
 It is so nice to see their chick grown now to his parents' size and coloring.  
He will be on his own come Spring but for now they are still a happy family.
I played at the lathe on a new Camphor bowl.  
There sure was a lot of sawdust!  
It smells so good, I think it would be good in little sachets to keep away moths, too!
The bowl is just roughed out;  the end on the right is the bottom of the bowl 
and is now turned around on the lathe so I will begin hollowing out the bowl portion.
  I will then wait for the bowl to dry out a bit-it is full of water 
and needs to dry out so the final bowl will not crack and warp. 
 It was so relaxing to sweep away the waste wood to get it rounded out, 
that dinner was late! 
 I'm so happy to have the area and tools to work with wood!
INKTOBER DAY 20--CORAL  
A fantasy coral reef--I think it would be pretty painted on the wall on our pool!
 

10 comments:

  1. Your coral reef is so colourful - what a great hope that they will re-generate in real life too. Little cloth bags of moth-repellant camphor wood shavings sounds like a great sideline hustle :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to see the cranes successfully raise a young one! It must be mesmerizing to watch the wood transform. The coral reef is lovely, although the peeking eel is creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cranes are so stately! I love seeing them. I'm fascinated with your wood working and yes, sachets of camphor would be great for keeping moths at bay! A mural in your swimming pool is a very cool idea - do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing your woodwork
    A pool mural is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of camphor. The wood grain on the bowl is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking forward to your coral drawing. I knew it would be a good one!
    Your new wood project is lovely. That color and that grain pattern WOW! It's amazing how much sawdust it makes. I bet it smells wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cranes and beautiful coral drawing. You are amazing.
    I had just thought, "I bet that smells wonderful" when I read "it smells so good!" That would be great for keeping moths away from wool wouldn't it? I really like the smell of camphor.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful talent to have, turning wood!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you learn to do woodworking?

    The bowl you are turning now has such a pretty grain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are soooo clever!!! My dad has a wood lathe and I would love to learn... xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FRIDAY FINISHES!

The 3-yard quilt top is all sewn together and ready for the quilting frame!  It was pretty easy to stitch it and even a bit boring to just k...