Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Far From Normal

We began yesterday by exercising our citizen's right to vote for the President of the United States, assorted other justices and judges, etc.  The line wasn't too bad and the wait was only 20 minutes.  While we don't have colorful leaves this time of year, we do have the rain tree which is covered with yellow flowers and red seed pods!  If you squint, it looks just like colorful Autumn leaves! lol

When we came home, we went out back and cut down a Camphor tree (Bill wants them off our property because they are invasive)  so as long as it was going, I went along and pointed out interesting joins, crotches and sizes of cuts so I would have a stock of green wood!
Soon, you will see this pretty and aromatic wood as a bowl or plate!  (Camphor smells a bit like Vicks but a bit more menthol--it is very pleasing and the bowl will retain the light scent much like cedar does.)
This fungus was a first for Bill and I!  It stands 6" tall-very much like a sculpture!  It is called a Clathrus crispus--a red cage fungus.  I hope more will form.  
The newest sock is on the needles!  It's a zig zagular pattern which I have done numerous times but like it just the same!  I decided not to use twisted stitches this time because I am lazy.
Now I am not so sure I should've done that because the stitches just blend into the background.  I am going to rip back and try the twisted stitches and if it still doesn't stand out, I will knit vanilla socks and let the colors speak for themselves!
 
INKTOBER DAY 19-DIZZY  This wasn't exactly something that thrilled me but I did watch a lot of videos about optical illusions and that was fun! lol

10 comments:

  1. That fungus is very cool!! The sock yarn is gorgeous and I still think that pattern is one of the best...but whether you keep going or switch, you can’t go wrong with the purples! Fun painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought voting day for the presidential elections was first Tuesday in November?
    Pretty tree. Camphor laurels, as they are called here, are considered weeds.
    Pretty socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cool fungus! Interesting. What fun to make things from trees on your own property. I've knit a pair of socks in that pattern - it's a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy while I was busy! Love the quilts and the bowl, and the socks are so cozy! And as always, in awe of the drawing/painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting fungus!

    I like the Zig Zag without the twist. Once it is on your foot it might be more noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have guessed the cage was a fungus - interesting. Your Inktober drawings are fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought those were red leaves until you said otherwise! And I thought that fungus was a rotted out piece of fallen fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dropped our ballots in the drop box yesterday so we're done too. I sure hope all is peaceful and calm around the elections but I fear reactions no matter what the outcome is. Itsn't that a shame?
    That fungus is something else. At first glance I thought it was a tomato that the insides had rotted!
    Your dizzy drawing is so precise. What until you read my blog today. You'll see my pitiful attempts of drawing with Piper.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again we had the same idea for dizzy but mine is just awful. I wasted a lot of paper trying out things that just didn't work. Yours is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FRIDAY FINISHES!

The 3-yard quilt top is all sewn together and ready for the quilting frame!  It was pretty easy to stitch it and even a bit boring to just k...