Saturday, October 1, 2022

RAKING UP PILES

I took a tour of our 11 acres to take stock post-hurricane.  This is the Candlestick Cassia-I can't believe it survived!
This clump of Cassia is over 7' tall--bend but don't break;  a good adage.
The citrus survived well, too.  (This is my red grapefruit tree)
Right behind the lanai this is the view toward the 'pond' area;  just beyond the farthest trees.  Yes, the back slopes lower on the left-the pic is level-the ground isn't! lol
A Maple tree fell across the berm Bill built up since the last time it flooded-4 years ago.
I saw a Great Blue Heron, two White Egrets and this Sandhill crane couple.  They are used to us and didn't fly away when they saw me.
After my tour, I got to work piling the Spanish moss and the Palm boughs--I have 5 piles so far.  It was nice to have cooler temperatures and lower humidity!
This is the first tree to show color every year-Bill thinks it is a wild cherry tree.
My favorite Live Oak grove was intact-for all the moss on the ground-the trees didn't look like they lost any! 
When I would get sore or tired of hauling tree junk, I came in the house to do some knitting-both on the needles and on the Sentro machines.  Happy first day of October!
 

4 comments:

  1. Hooray for (almost) everything looking just fine! That cassia looks amazing…you’d never guess what it just went through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky was that? I still can't believe what I am seeing south of you. The devastation is unbelievable. I don't know how anyone recovers from that. It took our neighbor three years to get back home after a tree fell through his house several years ago. All the insurance red tape kept things in limbo forever and that was just one house-not a whole city or cities of houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even heard of Cassia before you mentioned it and to think it came through the hurricane unscathed is amazing. You are truly blessed by the minimal damage. I've been watching the news and I'm heartbroken by the images I'm seeing. How do you ever begin to rebuild after damage like this?
    Well, I did it! I ordered the larger knitting machine this morning. If I like it like I think I will, maybe I'll get the smaller one too. I hope I can figure out how to use it? Are the directions good?
    Take care and pace yourself on the cleanup.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Live Oaks... they are so magical looking! Glad there's not too much damage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

POST SURGERY TIME

I was able to get a ton of knitting time in  while in the Surgery Center with Bill yesterday!   He did well but it is harder to have surgery...