Friday, May 8, 2020

Ideas Lead You Places

 Some new yarn for a summer cardigan or t-shirt! 
I'm not sure yet which one!
This yarn is S O F T !
It is 50/50 Pima cotton and acrylic, a light worsted weight.
I will be swatching with it to find just the right needle size and to see what kind of fabric happens;
This will be a hand knitting project.
 And I tried something different with the apple core quilt-
instead of lopping off the outside blocks,
I sewed the outside curves to interfacing strips
(I was digging deep for interfacing and found these strips and the idea was born!)
Anyway, I stitched them along the curve, trimmed the seam allowance, clipped curves
and turned it the the wrong side of the quilt
then ironed the interfacing down (see the bottom of the pic).
Once I had all 4 sides done in this way, I lined it up on the border strip-
it will look like it is floating on the darker colored fabric!
But I've hit a glitch....I can't find my invisible thread--
I have several spools of it and can't find a single one.
As soon as I find a spool, I will use a small blanket stitch to attach it to the border fabric.
The end of this top is in sight!
(If I fail at discovering where I put the thread,
I will use pretty rayon thread instead;
I'm too close to hit a road block now!)

12 comments:

  1. That's a great idea using interfacing to firm up those edges. I'll have to remember that. I think Dear Jane is going to need all the help she can get when I tack down those floppy edges to the backing-which I should be doing as I go along. I've got quite a pile to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really pretty way to treat the edges of that quilt! The yarn is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is so pretty and I love the way it will "float" on the border. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt looks great and I love the way you are finishing that edge - the curves really stand out nicely! I am hand quilting an old quilt I made for my daughter years ago. I took it apart and replaced some of the damaged fabrics and now have put it back together with new batting. I am enjoying the simple process of each little stitch I make - not perfect even stitches - but I am telling myself it shows the love in each stitch! (and I can do it while I binge watch Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new yarn is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea to finish the quilt. It does indeed look like it's floating on the border. Your new yarn looks so soft and pretty. The color is beautiful as well.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ❤️ the new yarn! It will make a beautiful Summer sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That new yarn is beautiful and anything made with it will be also. Love how you did the edges of the apple core to float on the border. It is so much prettier than squaring the top. Look forward to seeing it complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey There! Did you know that new yarn comes from WA? It'll be fun to see what you make with it. Have a nice weekend. We are looking forward to having some warm, for us, temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knitpicks has some pretty nice yarns!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love the idea! At first I thought you just were sewing it to a backing to turn inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your yarn is beautiful, I just ordered some for myself, Berroco Remix Light, can't wait for it to get here.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

ALMOST A TOP!

  I have all of the pieces blocks finished  and the borders are cut but nothing is sewn to its neighbor yet  but that is on the schedule for...