Thursday, May 28, 2020

Stand for Something!

 I tried something new to me today; 
I picked out from my pile of mismatched china (I use them for mosaic work)
so I could make a 3 tiered cake stand!
 I gathered some tools, used my rotary ruler to find the center of the plates and began drilling!
Porcelain (and pottery,china and glass) needs water to keep the temperature down because friction
will build up and ruin your diamond tipped drill bits and can blacken your plates-patience is required!
 In no time, I had all three plates drilled and the hardware screwed into place!  
I think this is a great way to use that odd piece or three 
you have from a beloved relative or friend so that it will have a new life!
This tiered cake plate happens to be from a single set of dinner plate,
dessert plate and saucer from Lenox.

The next ones I make are all odd plates and they still look great just less formal!
Purchased from a yard sale for $2 these cake plates sell for $15-20 if you are wondering!
(the hardware is from Amazon, set of 10 for $7)

Now all I need to do is make some cupcakes!

9 comments:

  1. I could have used you for Daughter's wedding. I looked everywhere for those kind of stands for her engagement party, her shower and the rehearsal dinner. I found exactly one at Home Goods and now I use it for sewing things. Yours is much prettier. It would have been perfect for her tea party theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out beautiful.

    That is the same dish pattern that my mother-in-law had. They were used for our wedding dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Wonderful! Is there anything you don't do? Those are gorgeous.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegant and a perfect way to use the plates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a wonderful project! This cake plate is just beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I have a few random pieces of my great grandmother's china. I've been wanting to make them into garden decor forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is just so pretty and I love your smarts to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always planned to do one of those, just never got across the finish line! Great job, looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

A LITTLE OF THIS AND THAT

I finished the mug rugs;  6 of them in fact!  They are 5 x 5".  I am not a coffee or tea drinker but I do like hot chocolate~ I made an...