Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Stars and Flowers

 I finished this grouping of stars but I haven't sewn them together
 because I am not sure if I am going to add sashing strips and cornerstones.  
I will play more with the design today.
I wanted to off-set the blocks but that meant I couldn't use all of the blocks
or
it meant I didn't have enough!
Back to the drawing board!
Outside of the patio door of my sewing room, there are two gorgeous plants;
the Tree Crinum, which is doing its thing again--this plant stands 5' tall-and the aroma is heavenly!
See how the old bloom grows into bulbs?
Yup, those drop off to form more plants!
 This grouping of blooms is 12" across and absolutely marvelous to inhale!
This sprawling plant is what I was told was a ground orchid but with further reading,
that is another plant and this one is called ground-rooting orchids!
Okay, then.
This plant is a grouping of stalks, not just one plant, 6' across and about 4' high.
With our milder winter, it never stopped blooming!
And each stalk has a grouping of flowers-I love the pop of orange in the yard!
Unlike its neighbor, these seeds are minuscule and it is easier to break off a stalk
and stick it in the ground and it grows!

(and on a side-note, I am hoping to catch a glimpse 
of the manned rocket heading into orbit this afternoon!
I hope to have pictures to share with you!
I had my heart set on a view from the beach but it isn't gong to happen.
Such is life.)

6 comments:

  1. You've got some weird and wonderful plants down there!
    Love those stars and I hope you get to glimpse your rocket.
    I've only see one, when I was about seven years old, but it was pretty darn cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange flowers are beautiful. Viewing the rocket launch must be exciting. I hope you are able to snap some photos to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are happy star blocks. No matter how you design your quilt, it is going to be beautiful. Such pretty and unusual plants. I had never heard of Tree Crinum but love the blooms and how it forms bulbs to reseed. The Ground Rooting Orchids are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the plant information. Very interesting. My son was on the HS horticulture team which always won State. Every kid at his HS loved the horti teacher. Mr. Yordy died suddenly a few years ago and the whole community mourned. Kids loved being his plant "nerds" Zach will like to see this post. Illl forward it to him

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stars are just gorgeous! I love those colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stars are so pretty. Too bad the launch didn't go off, I am sure you will try again on the redo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

POST SURGERY TIME

I was able to get a ton of knitting time in  while in the Surgery Center with Bill yesterday!   He did well but it is harder to have surgery...