Friday, September 11, 2020

I Used to be a Seamstress!

While digging through the corners the other day, 
I discovered this skirt fabric I had put into the someday pile. 
 And now it is done! 
 It is a simple a-line skirt that I adjusted from a zippered side
 to a pull-on elastic waisted skirt.
  It fits my lifestyle better this way since I never tuck in a shirt!

I also had purchased yardage to make a slip for this 
and several other light peasant skirts I like to wear.  
I only have a slip for knee length skirts and wearing this skirt without a full slip wasn't an optio;
you will see why below.

The skirt is a border print which is very cool. 
 I added a bit of pre-gathered embroidered edging to the slip; 
 this also adds some weight which is a nice addition to such lightweight cotton.

 You can see here how ethereal the fabric is! 
 I will wear the skirt properly modest now! 
I did some painting but it isn't finished;
that is one thing I wasn't aware of when I started watercolor several years ago--
it is why I quit trying, too--
I didn't know about letting areas dry, adding layers,
 being patient while painting has become part of why it is so relaxing now!
                                                            A doubly good lesson, right?

Yesterday's painting was from Chesapeake Beach, VA, from Araignees' blog!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely skirt... and fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS my beach!!! I should have recognized it right away. Silly me. I have tried to paint it before myself and it wasn't very good. Water and sand are hard. Well done!!!
    I love the skirt. I was just watching a video podcast yesterday where someone was talking about sewing. She made a very cute dress. I had no idea there were so many pattern sources out there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tuck in a shirt either! The skirt and slip are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely wear skirts and dresses anymore, but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wear dresses almost exclusively because I find them so much more comfortable and non-restrictive. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter!
    Do you have a pattern for the slip? I need to make myself some new ones as they're so hard to buy. What kind of fabric did you use for them?
    I was right on yestedays painting! Yay! Thanks for letting me know.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are moments I dream of sewing garments again, usually when I can't find Fall/Winter shirts with sleeves long enough!! LOL Pretty skirt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

FLOWERS ON FRIDAY

But first-yesterday's Shop Hop went well-we discovered a very nice new shop in St Augustine;  always a good find!   What I bought this t...