Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Death in the Garden

I couldn't wait to tackle the inside of the bowl. 
 Unfortunately, I nicked the bark around the edge
and it went flying.  
After a bit of hunting through wood chips, I found both pieces!

I set them aside until I was done hollowing out the bowl.
I will  hopefully be able to glue them in place when finished.
It is amazing how quickly the bowl filled with shavings
 and you have to stop and remove them
 so you can see what you are doing!
I almost felt like I knew what I was doing--it was a good feeling.  
At first w thought we got away with only limited damage
 but as the week passed, more and more of the beautiful jungle 
we love is turning brown and shriveling away.
This is the dead top portion of the 12' of calliandra bush.
My bougainvillea might return or not-it is hard to know. 
 And it depends on the rest of this winter's temperatures.
The avocado tree is most likely gone for good-
they don't take the cold well at this age. (8' tall)
There are several rubber tree plants (6-8' tall) 
will hopefully come back from the root. 
But I am saddest about this little grouping-my cactus clump I've grown from one little lobe, the 10' tall pencil cactus and saddest of all--the cereus cactus....the beautiful night blooming one.
On to more pleasant thoughts-I finished the hat--
and to my chagrin, I read the wrong label 
and this one is appropriately named Salted Caramel Apple! 
  (S'Mores was the gray hat I made already! lol)
I like the swirl of the top decreases!  
I have another hat on the needles. 
 It is pleasant knitting right now.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, it looks more of a salted caramel colour - and very warm to boot. You are such a quick knitter. Admiring your patience in sifting through wood chips for similar coloured pieces, and commiserating on the loss of so many of your lovely plants. Frosts are a real bummer. Up here, it's common to lose things in Spring - everything starts to come out, then there's a sharp late frost and wham, lots of die-back. Hoping there'll be recovery for some, and the joy of choosing and nurturing new plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I'm so sorry about all your wonderful plants not surviving the cold snap you had. What a shame! That's a very pretty hat. Love the colors in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear....your sad plants make me sad. The weather has been so weird this year. We've been pretty mild so far but you guys south have been hit pretty hard. I was just reading an Twitter thread where people were complaining to our local weather people about not having any real snow for quite a few years now. My poor sleds haven't been out of the shed in such a long time.
    I love seeing photos of your bowl in progress. It must be very satisfying to see it take shape right before your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad to see all those dead plants! Nature can be brutal sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your plants. It is hard seeing all your beautiful plants all brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that name makes a LOT more sense! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does those things. :-) I'm glad you found your bark pieces for the bowl. I know you'll work some magic with them.
    As for your plants, I just want to cry along with you. How sad. And we're having the warmest first week of January in years. Of course, that could change in a few hours, we've learned that the hard way. Mostly we lose plants in the spring. They begin to blossom, grow and bloom and then an unexpected frost will hit and it will kill everything. I hope some of them surprise you and come back. I also hope both of you continue to feel better every day.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully, the plants will revive themselves from the roots. It’s hard to see such devastation when you did all you could to nurture them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I'm sorry about your plants! How cold did it get? At the moment, we are getting lots of rain on our side of the mountains and warmer temps than usual. I tried to grow an avocado from seed in our house; it got about a foot high and then died for some reason. It makes me sad when plants die, too. Love the way your bowl is coming along and hope you can get those bark pieces reattached.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you stopped by to read my blog! If you can't get the blog to accept a comment-email me! If you don't have a blog yourself, use my email so I can then email you back-I love to respond to those who leave comments! Thanks!

ALMOST A TOP!

  I have all of the pieces blocks finished  and the borders are cut but nothing is sewn to its neighbor yet  but that is on the schedule for...